Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dogs can help you keep fit!


It is amazing to me how dogs enrich our lives! A big benefit of having a dog is your dog gives you a reason to get out and take a walk. Twice a day I walk my JRT Molly and then some days she gets to hunt and I run alongside of her to keep her out of trouble. We both enjoy the breaks and I know I am better shape because of her.



Russ Klettke is a fitness writer and certified trainer. He and Mardi Gras love to exercise together.



I decided to ask him some questions about Mardi Gras and fitness!




How long have you had Mardi Gras?



We welcomed Mardi into our home in late September 2005, about a month after she lost her first family in Hurricane Katrina. She was at Chicago's Anti Cruelty Society shelter.



What convinced you to adopt a dog?



We weren't necessarily looking for a Katrina rescue -- I had bought a house a few months earlier after living in a no-pets condominium for 17 years. I had always heard dogs contribute to better health for humans, and it's easy to see why. A shelter dog was both affordable and came with good instruction and medical care.



What was the hardest part when you first got her?



Miraculously, she was not fully grown but was house trained. Her biggest problem was she had a lot of energy, and expressed separation anxiety by chewing pillows. We had to crate her for about six months but she's fully outgrown that and is exceptionally sweet and well behaved.



What do you two enjoy doing together?



We run to Lake Michigan, about 1.5 miles away, and swim together. She's an amazing swimmer! In the winter we still run down there and she'll go in the water when it's not iced up on shore, but not out very far.



What is your favorite way to stay fit with her?



Running, definitely. But my partner and I dance with her all the time -- she stands up on her hind legs and willingly participates. My partner is from Argentina, so of course they tango.


Now get out there and take your dog for a walk!

No comments: