Thursday, June 4, 2009

Help for Thunderphobic Dogs!!!


Its coming, yes a thunderstorm. I always know without looking out the window if there is a storm approaching.
Molly knows it is coming. I can see it in her eyes.
For years she has hated thunderstorms. I am lucky she has never progressed to the worst stages where they dig at doors, break windows to get out ect.
The other day I read about Canine Lullabies and thought it would be worth a try. It is music with heartbeats and many thunderphobic dogs find it calming.
The first storm was in the afternoon and was not a big one, but one that would have caused some shaking and quaking. I put on the CD and in a few minutes I found that Molly had gone over and was asleep.
Great , I was so excited.
Late afternoon brough storms that lasted about 1 1/2 hours. Lots of thunder and lighting . Once again I put on the CD. With this storm , when it got closer , she tucked her tail, but no shaking. She played with her treat ball the entire time.
I am hopeful this will continue to help with storms. I used to love big thunderstorms now I dread them because of Molly.
If you have a thunderphobic dog, it might just help! Check out their website for more information




3 comments:

Diane Schuller said...

I adore that last photo of Molly. I hope those lullabies continue to help. I wrote a long, long post ages ago about dogs that are extremely afraid of thunder. My female Aussie used to be insane! There is never a quick fix, but I found a few things that "I" changed really helped a lot as well as being consistent. She's still afraid of them, but as long as she can get in the house, she goes on her chair and remains 'relatively' calm compared to her extreme behaviour. Here's my long post if you care to read it:
http://tinyurl.com/5qhcmw

Jean M Fogle said...

Diane,
You should try the canine lullabies, might work for her

ELK said...

our golden is thunderstorm phobic, that is why he was given up in the first place. we have tried EVERYTHING
music, wraps, closets, behavior mod, finally we have to medicate him at a low dose and it helps some...not the best solution.